Sacred Heritage Conference
Places for religious service; sites connected with ritual or rites; burial grounds and memorials; places for reflection or contemplation; or any other site with which we connect on a spiritual or emotional level.
This conference explores the concept of Sacred Heritage in historic and Aboriginal heritage and delivers practical guidance on its care, interpretation, activation and appropriate sustainable use.
The venue for the 2018 Regional Heritage Conference is the new Geraldton Multipurpose Centre, with additional sessions to be held at St Francis Xavier Cathedral.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Rt Rev Abbot John Herbert from the Benedictine Community of New Norcia
- Architect Ian Hamilton, convener of the recent ‘Regenerating Places of Faith’ conference in Adelaide (made possible with the generous support of the Archives Office, Archdiocese of Perth)
- Godfrey Simpson, language specialist and consultant, showcasing the Bundiyarra Aboriginal Community’s ‘Songlines’ project
- Fr Robert Cross and architect John Taylor, who have led the conservation of St Francis Xavier Cathedral
- Heritage consultant Helene Bartleson, who will share her experiences with the cemeteries and shrines of Christmas Island
Further presentations will explore the assessment and identification of Aboriginal heritage and sacred sites; intangible heritage; Sikh history and heritage in WA; memorials and memorial landscapes; and the architecture of sacred heritage.